DESPITE a hitch-free Eid-el-Fitr Sallah celebration and a colourful Durbar in Borno State, the military Joint Task Force (JTF) and members of Borno Vigilance Youths Group (BVYG) have arrested 11 Boko Haram terror suspects in the state.
The arrests were made in three separate areas of Maiduguri metropolis, including the Shehu’s palace, in the early hours of Friday.
The two suspects arrested at the Shehu’s palace had just returned from Gambouru Ngala in Shehuri ward of the metropolis where they went to celebrate the Sallah festivity with other members of the Islamist sect before they were nabbed by the youths.
Speaking on the arrest of eight suspects at the Motor Park, Isa Ibrahim of Vigilance Youths said: “We picked up these three Boko Haram suspects, who had just returned from Gombe to launch attacks on military and civilian targets in Maiduguri during and after the Sallah. After interrogating the suspects, one of them led the youths to Kofa Biyu area and identified five other suspects at one of the hideouts around 8a.m. and we recovered some arms and ammunition.
“On confirming the identities of the suspects, we arrested them and handed over to the Sector Commander of the JTF for further investigations. The one that was arrested at the Gwange Bridge travelled from Muna Garage, 15 kilometres from the scene of arrest.”
Ibrahim said the 15-year-old suspect was arrested with documents, including several divorce letters and other identification of being a member of the Boko Haram sect that killed over 25 people at the Muna Motor Park in 2011 and April this year.
Chairman of BVYG, Abubakar Mallum also told The Guardian that the suspect along with the recovered documents had been handed over to JTF for further investigation.
Spokesman of Borno State Police Command, Gideon Jibrin confirmed the arrests, saying the items found on the 15-year-old suspect could assist the JTF and police in their investigations.